Monday, September 1, 2008

Labor Daydreams

It was gray and snaky and now it's behind the couch. I saw it. It moved!

Which is more than I can say for myself, curled up in my reading chair, still in my pajamas at three in the afternoon. This has been a very unlaborious Labor Day weekend.

So far I have slept in all three days, watched four mindless movies, finished one enthralling novel and started another, learned the sad story of Tokyo Rose on the History Channel, walked the dog to the park on the hill four times, leisurely picked tomatoes and basil from our sunny garden, took a nap with the fat brown cat in the hammock under the passion-flower-covered arbor, butterflies flitting about, ate yummy raspberry sherbert from a wilting waffle ice cream cone, thought a good deal about exercising, and gently massaged my hubby's strong, hard-working hands until he fell asleep.

What's that furtive rustling sound? Did you hear it? I hope it's not a rodent. If I wasn't so lazy, I'd go investigate and find out what's moving over there...

I had plans of doing a myriad of other things around the house this weekend like organizing the boxes that've been stacked haphazardly in the garage since we moved here, reorganizing the tupperware cabinet, the pantry, and the pots & pans shelves, converting the extra bedroom into a gym with a special yoga area, and scrubbing the bathtub so I can take that much-anticipated bubbly, candlelit bath. So many undone projects await my attention.

Do you see it? There, beneath the fringe of the couch, the whiskers, the tip of a flickering gray tail? Poking out now like a cartoon - a pink little pointed nose and two mischevious amber-green kitten eyes, daring me to drop to the floor and play. Let's wrestle!

1 comment:

LISA HOLDREN said...

It reads very easily and comfortably, just like your day. But, if I was a reader who happened upon your site, I'd need something to keep me reading. That means something has to happen at the top of the page, even if all you do is balance a teacup on your belly. Petting the cat would be better placed at the beginning and then lead into the things you thought about doing while you were doing some twiddly nothing thing that was exactly what you wanted to do, xoxoxo

Lisa H.
www.peaceandlaughter.blogspot.com